Here we are again, preparing for the next leg of our journey to learn the secrets of an organized business traveler. In part 1, I introduced you to Mary, an old friend of mine, (she’s not old, I’ve just known her for a long time), that travels back and forth every week to Atlanta where she works.
Recently, Mary let me in on many of her secrets to stay organized in her weekly travels. Our focus was on the journey in part 1. Today we learn tips of an organized business traveler to pack for the destination. And away we go…
Packing for the destination…
• Keep a separate bag of toiletries always packed except when refilling – use 3 oz travel sizes; put makeup remover pads & nail polish remover pads in snack size Ziploc bags (Ziploc bags are Mary’s friends & she uses them a lot for small items).
• An organized business traveler never checks a bag, but if you absolutely have to, keep photo identification, medications, makeup and deodorant in a carry on bag.
• Tennis shoes – tie laces together and through the suitcase handle, so they don’t take up valuable space in the bag.
• Use a brightly colored small tote bag that zips out to a bigger bag for purchases & check your regular suitcase if it’s filled (exception to the never check a bag rule). See other uses below:
- Weekend travel – check your suitcase with the bell hop and pack this small tote bag.
- In flight – keep Netbook, headphones and work folder in small tote to stay productive during the flight.
• Use a brightly colored small bag that snaps to a small pouch to carry on 2 bottles of water, nuts, something sweet and a powerbar in case of flight delays on the tarmac.
• Always keep a briefcase packed. Tips below include items every organized business traveler will pack in their briefcase:
- Use a clear plastic zippered case to hold electronics peripherals so you can easily see what’s in there; examples – cables, batteries, external hard drive, mini keyboard, SD cards for computer (Mary stores data on SD cards for ease of portability), extra USB adapter for multiple USB’s.
- Portable voice activated GPS
- Screen cleaning cloth
- Envelope for receipts
- Jewelry she always wears for work; in a jewelry organizer, of course
- Inflatable pillow and small pink umbrella
- Laptop with business card taped to the bottom, in bright pink colored case to take out at airport security (can stay in bag going through the scanner); pink will stand out so you know it’s yours and a man won’t pick it up, by accident.
- Prescription medications
- Over the counter medications that dissolve
- Passport – if you forget your driver’s license, you will always have your passport for identification at the airport.
- Extra pair of eye glasses in a hard case
- Eyeglass repair kit
- Lens cleaner for eye glasses; can also be used for computer screen
- Wet wipes
- Snacks and gum
- Pens and highlighter
And, if you forget…
• Shaving cream – use hair conditioner
• Hair styling products – use hair spray to style your hair
The journey on our path to becoming an organized business traveler is complete. Now that you know Mary’s secrets, your future business travels are sure to be more productive and less stressful. Safe travels everyone!