I love traveling! Seeing new sights and meeting new people is a wonderful experience. Traveling also creates memories that last a lifetime. Getting away from time to time provides an escape from the day to day activities that can create a lot of stress in our lives.
Spontaneous trips are fun, but could add to your stress and cost more by not having a plan. You may forget to bring essential items that could be expensive when purchased in another state or country. Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, a well thought out plan can eliminate stress to make your trip more enjoyable.
An effective plan should include arrangements of where you are traveling to, how long you will be there, how you will get there, where you will stay, schedule of activities, and items to pack. The research for your plan will provide the required information to lessen your stress so you enjoy your time away from home.
The list below are some travel tips to get you started on your plan for your next trip. Visit the SOS tips page for more travel tips to include when making arrangements for your trip.
- Put a hold on mail at the post office, or ask a neighbor to pick it up and hold onto it until you return.
- Leave trip itinerary/contact information with another family member, close friend or neighbor, so someone has a record of your travels for security.
- Photocopy debit cards, credit cards, driver’s licenses, passports, and lost or stolen contact information, and keep separate from these cards/documents.
- When packing clothes, roll them up to reduce wrinkles and make efficient use of suitcase space.
- Confirm all reservations (ie., flights, hotels, etc.), at least a week in advance.
- Pack an outfit for each day of the trip, +1 or 2 more if you have space, including undies, shoes, & accessories for each person.